By the Church Base Team ┃Read time: 4 minutes
Churches and ministries are often called to accomplish big things…all on a limited donation-based budget. As a ministry leader, you know the importance of budgeting and saving money so you can make the most of every opportunity.
Fortunately, there are small steps you can take to save your church money in 2022. We’ve compiled five ideas that you can implement today:
1. Show your volunteers appreciation
We couldn’t talk about ways to save your church money without mentioning volunteers. They are often the lifeforce of a ministry, dedicating skills, time, and energy for free. They do this out of their generosity of spirit and their call from God. One way to make sure they continue to offer these gifts is to go out of your way to show appreciation.
A $5 Starbucks gift card, a public acknowledgment, a home-cooked dinner–these efforts don’t have to cost much, but they are definitely an investment in the ongoing mission of your church. If you want to maintain, and build, your ongoing partnership with volunteers (saving your church money), look for small ways to show appreciation.
2. Take advantage of free curriculum
It’s always exciting to pick up the latest curriculum from your favorite Bible study author, pastor, or teacher. But before you hit that “buy” button, canvass your small group leaders to make sure it aligns with their groups’ trajectories for the new year. Only buy what’s necessary…which might mean leaving a few favorites unpurchased for now.
But just because you’re limiting your curriculum budget doesn’t mean you need to go without. There are countless free resources on the internet, from free videos to free small group guides. Church Base has compiled many of these for you already. Save your church money by making the most of free curriculum in 2022.
3. Cut down on electricity costs
It can take a lot of power to run a church building…which means a big monthly utility bill. Computers, TVs, soundboards, and lights–it can all add up quickly. But you can save your church money by creatively looking for ways to cut down on electrical costs.
Here are just a few ideas to reduce your electricity bill in 2022:
- Install motion sensor lights so only the rooms being used will draw power.
- Switch all lights to LED lights. This can be an investment up front but will save your church money down the road.
- Use automatic thermostats so your heating and cooling never run contrary to your budget.
- Unplug devices not being used during the week. Is the TV in the kid’s classroom staying plugged in all week? It could be drawing power even when it’s turned off. So, train your volunteers and staff to unplug any device that isn’t currently being used.
As you steward your resources and church building well, each little adjustment can make a big difference down the road. (Ready to go “green”? Read more from Lifeway.)
4. Utilize social media
We know that social media can be a powerful communication tool. But it can also save your church money as you get the Good News out there.
For example, do you send out postcards to remind volunteers or greet newcomers? Instead, send a direct message to cut down on postage. Likewise, sharing a digital flyer for an upcoming event can avoid expensive printing costs. And asking church members to post about a community opportunity can eliminate the cost of advertising in the local newspaper.
When it comes to the price of communication, always be asking: “Is there a way I can achieve this same effect for free on social media?” If so, start there to see if you can save your church money in the coming year.
5. Get a free one-year trial with Church Base.
Church software can quickly inflate a ministry’s budget. Once you add up your website, app, ChMS, digital giving software, and storage solutions, you could be looking at a big price tag.
At Church Base, we want to help save your church money. That’s why we’ve made our entire software suite FREE for an entire year.
As soon as you register for your free account, you get full access to:
- A free branded website and app builder so you can expand your reach in your community and connect with your church members anytime, anywhere.
- Free church management software (ChMS) so you can coordinate people and events for greater impact.
- A free digital giving suite so your church members can give when it’s convenient for them.
- Free Unlimited media storage so you can organize and publish your sermons, videos, podcasts, and more across a spectrum of platforms.